Below are answers to common questions around connecting your social networks to GRIN, including what the various permissions mean as well as troubleshooting tips.
Why am I being asked to connect my Social Accounts?
Brands you are working with will ask you to sync your social accounts so they can track any content you create in a collaboration with them. Brands will usually ask you to add #Hashtags and/or @Mentions to your posts so GRIN can identify which content is for the collaboration and display it in the platform.
What happens when I connect my Social Accounts?
When you connect your social accounts, you give GRIN permission to access certain read-only data from your profile. This includes basic information such as your profile image, follower count, and also includes more detailed information like content, captions, and engagement metrics. These permissions allow you to collaborate with brands via GRIN.
When connecting to Instagram, why am I requested to log into Meta?
In order to authenticate your Instagram account, you must connect your Instagram Creator or Business account with a Facebook Business page, so you need to sign in to Meta, as well. When you authenticate your Instagram account, you give GRIN permission to pull in your Instagram content and engagement numbers (such as likes, views, and comments) into GRIN for brands you work with to view.
Meta, who owns both Instagram and Facebook, set up this process to support business and creator accounts. You can check out Instagram’s help articles, About Connecting a Facebook Page to your Instagram Professional Account and What happens when I connect my Instagram account and a Facebook Page that I manage?, for more information.
What permissions are required when syncing my accounts?
When going through the process of syncing your accounts for the first time on the Live Site you'll be asked to grant permissions to GRIN.
If you are providing permissions to Facebook or Instagram, all permissions displayed will need to be agreed upon in order to pull in posts, videos, story content, and data:
- Access profile and posts from the Instagram account connected to your Page: allows GRIN to pull your posted content and media into the platform
- Access insights for the Instagram account connected to your Page: allows GRIN to pull your post and Story insights into the platform
- Read content posted on the Page: allows GRIN to pull in post and story content into the platform
- Manage accounts, settings, and webhooks for a Page: allows GRIN to know when a Story has expired, and allows GRIN to pull the complete insights data for the Story
- Show a list of the Pages you manage: allows GRIN to see which page is connected to your Instagram account to pull in story content and insights
If you are providing permissions for YouTube, the sign-in grants the following using YouTube's API:
- Youtube.Readonly: Allows GRIN to view your YouTube account
- Userinfo.profile: See your personal info, including any personal info you’ve made publicly available
What should I do if I get an error message while trying to connect my accounts?
If you receive this message, please go through the following steps to troubleshoot:
- Confirm that the Instagram handle you entered is the correct one. Make sure you do not include the @ before your handle (i.e. instead of “@GRIN”, simply enter “GRIN”).
- Confirm that Instagram and Facebook are connected to each other by checking the settings from both sites
- If you have multiple pages, make sure you are only selecting one Facebook page when connecting to GRIN
- Make sure all of the Facebook permissions are accepted